Understanding the Middle Management Role
Who should attend?
This course is for existing and/or newly promoted managers. It provides a foundation across a wide spread of topics and prepares you for the range of responsibilities ahead and the expectations placed upon you. Pitched at level 4, this course is the core unit of the ILM Level 4 Award in Leadership & Management and provides a significant part towards its achievement.
Why should you attend?
Attending this course will give you a clear overview of your role and responsibilities as a manager. You will learn about different organisational structures, ways of managing people, tasks, information and resources, as well as skills/techniques to use in difficult situations. You will also benefit from learning with and from managers from other sectors, and build confidence in your own ability to adopt your style to the situation in hand.
This is a three-session course, during which you will learn:
- The nature & purpose of organisations, including mission, value statements & stakeholders needs
- Organisational structures and the range of management functions within
- The roles and responsibilities of managers at varying levels in an organisation
- The management task, including planning, organising, motivating and controlling
- A range of management styles, as well as the differences between management and leadership
- The importance of organisational goals and objectives and how to manage them
- A range of human behaviours, including cultural and individual differences
- Respect for others, including the balance between trust and control
- Communications and methods to overcome particular challenges
- The importance of feedback skills to facilitate communication and workplace relationships
- The importance of image/presentation, social skills and non-verbal communications
- Personal management styles and their effects on situations and individuals
- Using self-assessment and 360 feedback to assess own knowledge, skills and behaviour
- Formal and informal personal development methods
This short course offers you an opportunity to look closely at your own skills, characteristics and current performance levels, as well as give you the chance to identify some key development opportunities. You will exit this course being more self-aware and know what you need to focus on to develop your management skills and performance levels.
For those seeking to measure their behaviours more closely, ask about completing the DiSC profiling before embarking on this course.
For those seeking recognition for their learning, this course is based on the ILM unit: Understanding the Management Role. Successful completion of the assignment will result in the achievement in 4 credits at Level 4.
For those seeking to achieve a qualification at Level 4, you will need to achieve a further 1 credit for the ILM Award or 9 credits for the ILM Certificate.
Course: £364.00 +VAT
Time & Location
9:30AM until 1:00PM @ Twigworth Business Centre